Kitulo National Park
Kitulo National Park Descriptions
Kitulo National Park the “Garden of God”. It is one of the leading nature reserves in Africa and has mountain meadows and forests. The Kitulo Plateau is located in the southern highlands of Tanzania. It is the first national park in tropical Africa that was established primarily to protect its flora. This park is the reason why true nature lovers especially make Tanzania travel.
Flora in the national park
Botanists call the Kitulo Plateau the “Serengeti of Flowers” because it is home to one of the largest flower deposits in the world. In total around 400 plant species live in the montane grasslands. The plateau has more than 45 species of orchids, geophytes, aloes, proteas, geraniums, giant lobelia, lilies and aster daisies, and other afro-alpine plants. These mountain meadows are flourishing during the rainy season from November to April. You can find many species only in the Kipengere Mountains and the nearby highlands. Brachystelma kituloensis, Impatiens rosulata, and Pterygodium Ukingense can only be found in the Kitulo National Park.
Except for a few mountain reedbucks and eland, the occurrence of large animals in Kitulo is not very large. But plants, birds, and butterflies make up for life in the park. The rare chimpanzee, blue swallow, red chalk hawk, njembe stalksinger, kipengere seed eater, steppe harrier, zebra, kipunji monkey, chameleon, lizards, frogs, spiders, and other small insects are native to the park.
- Bird watching Tanzania is gifted with a variety of bird species and the Kitulo national park has its a portion of numerous birds the most common being Denham’s bustard which is not often seen in other parts of the country, cisticola, and Kipengere seed eater to mention a few.
- Hiking Tourists can engage in hiking the montane grasslands that will expose you to various flower species, butterflies, chameleons, lizards, animals like elands and waterbucks. The whole montane grasslands provide an arena of a glorious view from the top it’s also a unique place for the photogenic lovers to take as many photos as they want.
- Mountain climbing Tourists can take a day hike on top of mouth Rungwe. And see primates like the vervet monkeys, Kipunji monkey with a long Hong bark call, Columbus monkeys animals like Reed bucks and elands may also be seen at the mountain slopes. The mountain tops give more excellent views of the Kitulo national park.
- Guided nature walks Tourists can take guided nature walks to the Livingstone forested area. And come to lake Nyasa shorelines tourists can relax from here. And enjoy lunch at the adorable Matema beach before getting back along the way tourists will see a lot of o wildlife and other plant species.
- Swimming Apart from getting engaged in tourist attractions. Tourists can engage in swimming in the Ruaha river. And get refreshed in the wilderness.
tours & safari packages
BOOK / INQUIRE NOW