Volunteering with us. We share a common vision with local leaders, teachers, medical caregivers, families, and students in our community. If you can embrace a new culture and you enjoy sincere hospitality please join us to gain valuable insight into local people’s lives and become part of the communities’ story mainly focusing on nurturing and sustaining the livelihoods of the less fortunate in Tanzania by directly contributing to sustainable projects that define their future.
Tanzania is an East African country where Biko Adventures Tours Tanzania LTD volunteers can make a great impact on the lives of those affected by poverty. Our volunteer projects in Tanzania are available for anyone interested in volunteering in the developing world. Biko Adventures Tours Tanzania LTD offers a wide variety of projects in Tanzania, based in both the Moshi and Arusha
On arrival the volunteers will be met by one of our staff members at the airport. We will be waiting for you in the arrivals area holding a “Biko Adventures Tours Tanzania LTD Sign” after which you will be driven to your accommodation.
Volunteering in Tanzania:
Orientation is done on the next working day after you arrive. You will be picked up from your accommodation and taken to our offices where you will be provided with all necessary details the local area and placement and also the necessary safety and security measures to apply in case of any eventuality.
You will be given forms which you are supposed to fill out to get your volunteering permit. All Volunteers are required to get a Carrying out a Temporary Assignment (CTA) permit, which allows you to work in Tanzania as a volunteer. Immigration authorities require all volunteers to submit; completed forms, 5 passport photographs, a copy of your passport, visa, and resume, and an additional fee of US$300.A member of staff will go to the immigration office and get your CTA permit processed for you.
You will be taken around the locality and shown all important landmarks and how to get around to and from your accommodation and project area using public transport which will be your major means of transport. You will need to cover the cost of your journey to and from work.
When you finish your placement we will arrange your journey back to the airport by taxi to Kilimanjaro International Airport.
Volunteering now at an Orphanage or Care Centre
There are thousands of orphans in Tanzania. Due to the increase of HIV/AIDS in the country, poverty and other preventable diseases many children in Tanzania need all the help they can get.
In many of the orphanages and care homes staff struggle with limited resources to take care and provide education for the children in their care. As a volunteer, you can have a positive impact on the lives of these children by giving them the attention and care they need.
Volunteering as Teacher
We currently work with several schools in and around Arusha and Moshi at both nursery and primary level. These schools are generally understaffed and underfunded.
Volunteers are needed to help with teaching English, sports and participate in various other activities at the schools. There is a national curriculum that needs to be followed but class structure and content does have some flexibility for ideas and different teaching techniques. Prior teaching experience is not a prerequisite but at primary level in particular, it is preferred it can be of great help to the students.
Volunteering in Medical Internships in Tanzania
Medical Internships is open to students studying medicine and qualified medical practitioners only. The Biko Adventures Tours Tanzania LTD Medicine internship in Tanzania is a great way to gain experience. Biko Adventures Tours Tanzania LTD works with both small health clinics and large government hospitals in Arusha and Moshi. This gives interns the unique opportunity to work in a variety of different departments and to work closely with local doctors and nurses. In both the smaller health clinics and the larger hospitals interns will find themselves working with patients who have a wide range of illnesses. We work with Hospitals in Arusha and Moshi
Volunteers will always work alongside the local staff and in most cases can choose to participate in their own area of interest within the hospital. The departments provided at these hospitals include but are not limited to Medical, Surgical and Maternity, Care and treatment of HIV patients, Eye and Dental, Radiology etc.
This is a unique program and an excellent opportunity for medical students and qualified practitioners alike.
Volunteering Terms and conditions
- Biko Adventures Tours Tanzania LTD reserves the right to refuse acceptance to any application.
- Biko Adventures Tours Tanzania LTD reserves the right to remove a volunteer from the program and terminate this contract without compensation by giving notice to the volunteer.
- Volunteers need to be 18 years and above to participate.
- When you join a Biko Adventures Tours Tanzania LTD program you will have to work the normal school or office hours of Tanzania Your hours will typically be spread over a five day working week, and should not normally exceed 8 hours a day.
- Biko Adventures Tours Tanzania LTD is responsible for providing your accommodations and 2 meals which are breakfast and dinner.
- At Biko Adventures Tours Tanzania LTD staff will register you with local immigration authorities to enable you to stay in in the host family or hostel during your placement. It is a condition of their permission that you should not invite guests (either local or foreign) to stay overnight at your accommodations without prior approval from the relevant authority.
- Biko Adventures Tours Tanzania LTD will not accept responsibility or liability for any volunteer who contravenes any law or regulation of Tanzania.
- You will be required to cater for your own medical and travel insurance
- Every reasonable effort will be made to resolve any disciplinary matter before it becomes serious. However, we reserve the right to take appropriate action in the event of behavior which would reasonably be expected to give offense to host, pupils, fellow-teachers, project managers or work colleagues. This includes behavior such as drug and alcohol abuse, failure to report to work, fighting or non-performance at work.
- A disciplinary problem would be brought to your attention in writing. If the problem still stood after three working days, a further letter would be sent saying that, if the matter was not resolved to our satisfaction within a further three working days you will be removed from the program and sent home. If you decide to remain in Tanzania Biko Adventures Tours Tanzania LTD would have no further responsibility for your food and accommodations or travel arrangements.
It would be at the discretion of Biko Adventures Tours Tanzania LTD to suspend you from your work during any disciplinary process. You are under the authority of Biko Adventures Tours Tanzania LTD throughout the period of the project placement.
- If you decide to extend your stay, as long as it does not involve a change of the project or program you will add an additional amount per day or week to cover your food and accommodation. We reserve the right to charge you an administration fee.
- You must pay all amounts due to Biko Adventures Tours Tanzania LTD two months before departure,
- Please note that you should accept responsibility and risks associated with your travel. You should agree to assume full responsibility for injury to you, including death and emotional trauma, damage to or theft to your property. You agree not to sue Biko Adventures Tours Tanzania LTD including any of its agents, employees, managers, directors, shareholders, host country, partner organizations from any actions, suits, liability, claims, or other causes of action of any nature which may arise from any cause whatsoever.
- Please note that we give you all reasonable assistance to obtain visas, visa renewals and permits when they are needed. However, it is the responsibility of the volunteer to make sure that the relevant visas and /or permits are in place. Please check with the appropriate Embassy before travel.
- Please note that our volunteers are issued visas, where applicable, and are registered, where applicable, on the basis that their work is purely voluntary. Doing paid work while on a Biko Adventures Tours Tanzania LTD program is illegal; if the relevant authorities find you have organized paid work they may take action against you.
- Registration fee is non-refundable.
- If you decide to cancel you should cancel through written notice verbal cancellation is unacceptable. If you cancel;
- 30 days before departure we will not refund any deposit
- 31-59 days before departure 50% refund
- 60 or more days before departure you will be refunded fully.
Please note that:
- Biko Adventures Tours Tanzania LTD is not responsible for arrangements outside your working hours. Baggage and personal effects are the sole responsibility of the owners at all times.
- All services and accommodation are subject to the laws of Tanzania. Biko Adventures Tours Tanzania LTD reserves the right to make changes in the agreed itinerary whenever, in their sole judgement, conditions warrant, or if they deem it necessary for the comfort, convenience, or safety of the volunteer. Biko Adventures Tours Tanzania LTD also reserves the right to withdraw without penalty any program announced.
- Biko Adventures Tours Tanzania LTD of Arusha, Tanzania and you, the applicant, are the sole parties to the contract for the provision of your Biko Adventures Tours Tanzania LTD program.